Similar to having a pint down the pub, placing a bet on the footy or a horse is a leisure activity. It can be great fun, a good laugh and even give you a bit of a thrill when a last minute goal goes in or when your horse is nose to nose with another at the finishing line. At Bet as you Give we only ever encourage responsible gambling.
What is responsible gambling?
- It’s understanding that the house (the bookmaker or casino) holds greater odds of winning than you do.
- It’s being fully in control over how much money and time you are spending on gambling and betting. Time and money spent should never negatively impact your day to day living.
- It’s viewing gambling purely as a form of entertainment and never as a way of making you money.
- It’s knowing exactly how much you can afford to spend and sticking to that amount.
- It’s understanding that you can never recoup your losses by betting or gambling more.
- It’s accepting that the amount of money you can spend may be less than other people.
- It’s usually done in a social setting with family, friends or colleagues and if done alone it’s never hidden from family, friends or colleagues.
If you gamble responsibly it should never negatively impact on any other areas of your life.
If you are worried that you are not gambling responsibly, or you think someone you know is not gambling responsibly be highly recommend to contact Be Gamble Aware or GamCare
You can visit their websites www.begambleaware.org and www.gamcare.org.uk or call their national helpline number on 0808 80 20 133